Re: IETF Chair, General Area, process and complexity

2005-08-09 12:21:26

--On Tuesday, 09 August, 2005 14:03 +0200 Brian E Carpenter
<brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com> wrote:

The general area is a small issue in the big picture. If it
isn't needed
any more, the IESG can axe it in a split second.

I think a wiser policy might be to keep the area open with no
WGs. It
isn't, after all, the Process Area, and it might come in handy
one day,
as Avri suggests.

Brian,

I think what is key here is that the IESG can, in principle,
make areas appear and disappear in, as you point out, a split
second, especially if it does not involve changes in the number
and allocation of ADs.

Personally, I think a wiser policy is not keeping vestigal
organs around, since they have often proven to be an incubation
location for various types of mischief and other nastiness.  If
we don't have a purpose for an area, I'd recommend dropping it
with the understanding that one can be [re]created almost
immediately if a clear need arises.

That said, if we can get to the point where this is the most
serious decision we need to make, or even within the top ten or
twenty, we will be in very good shape indeed.

     john