Re: Myths of the IESG: Reading documents is the problem

2005-08-09 12:04:46

There seems to be a common perception that a major time sync for the
IESG is reviewing documents and writing up comments.

Sam, thanks for pursuing a line of discussion about where AD time is spent.

You've used the same word that I heard in the plenary, namely "reviewing". I'm thinking that it was well-chosen, but might be more complicated than it first seemed.

While it's good to hear that the basic act of reading and commenting is not necessarily the major time sink that one might have thought, perhaps the deeper problem is the difference between the role of facilitating IETF efforts versus the role of acting like a technical contributor. That is, Process Assistant versus Technical Expert. Both tasks are difficult and both are usually necessary. And the former also requires reasonably good technical skills. But it is very different, indeed, from the latter.

So perhaps the deeper issue with "reviewing" is that Area Directors might be spending too much time as technical contributors and not enough helping working group chairs and editors ensure timely, solid progress.

When an AD is participating in a working group meeting making technical comments, they are not performing in the role of process assistant. When they provide feedback that challenges technical assumptions or state architectural preferences, they also are not performing as process assistants. They are acting as technical contributors. However wonderful their insight, the contribution is NOT one of facilitating working group management.

When the AD is the cognizant AD for the working group, then activity that looks like technical contribution ought to prompt a question about who is minding the shop? If the working group is operating to perfection, then the absence of the cognizant AD as a process assistance is dandy. And we do have such working groups, now and again.

But mostly working groups need all the procedural and project management assistance they can get. Usually they are not run by professional managers -- and even when they are, IETF wg management is quite different from corporate development team management. So the perspective of an AD who is trying to offer process management suggestions and trying to help the chair navigate both within and without the working group is typically needed... even when the wg chairs are experienced.

What is especially problematic is when the working group has late-stage process and project management difficulties, leading to the obvious question of what happened in the earlier stage?

Having a non-cognizant AD press late-stage issues leads to the question of why they did not pay attention earlier? If the topic is important enough for them to delay the wg output now, why was it not important enough earlier? If the hassle is, really merely tactical or a matter of engineering preference, rather than a solid, legitimate claim that the wg output "won't work" or "won't scale", then the obvious question is why it is tolerated.

The draft document on "discuss" criteria is a really good example of trying to focus on the primary and essential purpose of late-stage review. But we also need to decide how to make early- and mid-stage work go better, and I keep thinking it has more to do with focusing on working group productivity than it does in having Area Directors operate as active technical contributors.

By way of example: Having EKR get up on the MASS/DKIM BOF and hassle us about threat analysis is downright painful. But my own experience is that looking at that sort of strategic value-proposition and resolving it in the early stage has a vast benefit to the rest of the project. And working groups need assistance in constantly looking for those sorts of high-leverage questions to ask.

Now I have no doubt that EKR will perform the technical task of commenting on the wonderfulness of whatever threat analysis the DKIM group produces. At that point, he's going to be acting as a technical contributor. However, his pressing for the analysis to be done is process assistance. He is raising a strategic question for the group to answer.
--

  d/

ps. Our cognizant AD, Russ Housely, has also been pressing us for the analysis but EKR was, as always, more visible and more theatrical. So he's far more fun to cite, even without the AD role...

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking
 +1.408.246.8253
 dcrocker  a t ...