Re: Myths of the IESG: Reading documents is the problem

2005-08-09 13:49:23
On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 03:41:42PM -0500, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
Hi, Ted,

(offlist) - the current NOMCOM chair posted to the IETF list that for
two AD positions this cycle, there were only two candidates, and for a
third position, there were only three.

Are you saying that we may not be able to get even that many candidates
who are willing to serve, if we ask ADs to provide project management?

If we forbid AD's from making any technical contributions, but to only
serve as process managers and as project managers and nothing more
than that?  Yeah, I would be concerned about whether we would be able
to find people willing to volunteer to do nothing but that.

It's like trying to find volunteers to write documentation for an
open-source project; the job is absolutely required --- and I'm not
disputing that this is an important role to fill --- but there are
some jobs for which you really need to hire specific talent to fill
that role, and not hope to find volunteers.  The problem is that
there's no glory in just writing documentation or being a process cop.
Granted, we don't want to choose our leaders from people whose only
motivation is to be a glory-hound, but we do need to take human
motivations into account.

                                        - Ted