Re: Myths of the IESG: Reading documents is the problem

2005-08-09 15:08:37
"Dave" == Dave Crocker <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> writes:

    Dave>      I said that an AD has a job of doing project management
    Dave> and that doing other things -- however good at it the AD
    Dave> might be and however much more fun it might be -- often can
    Dave> and does take place IN LIEU OF doing that job, and that this
    Dave> failure has strategic cost to the productivity of the IETF.
    Dave> Working groups usually need help being productive.

I actually think most ADs strike a reasonable balance on this area and
will continue to believe this untill I see significant data that
disagrees with my conclusion.  I will note that I am not as good at
striking this balance as some other ADs.

    Dave>      Having their cognizant AD provide technical
    Dave> contributions to the working group rarely, if ever,
    Dave> satisfies that need.  Having other ADs provide late-stage
    Dave> technical intervention also tends to be more
    Dave> counter-productive than productive, because their brilliant
    Dave> insight comes too damn late to be very helpful.

Strongly disagree.

    Dave>      The fact that there is an occasional exception and that
    Dave> the brilliant insight sometimes really is useful is being
    Dave> used to obscure just how wasteful it is, on the average.

Data please.