Re: Myths of the IESG: Reading documents is the problem

2005-08-09 14:00:39
On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:49:11 -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
 If we forbid AD's from making any technical contributions

Oh boy...

To quote Harald:  sigh.

In difficult topics, certain things contribute to better communication and
certain things contribute to worse.

So, Ted, please forgive me for using your posting to note a pattern, but I'm
sufficiently tired of the very regular and usually hyperbole-filled pattern of
misreading that happens in this realm, so that I feel the need to take explicit
and forceful exception to it.

I did not say anything that bore any relationship to "forbid AD's from making
any technical contributions."

By way of saying what I said, but with different words:

     I said that an AD has a job of doing project management and that doing
other things -- however good at it the AD might be and however much more fun it
might be -- often can and does take place IN LIEU OF doing that job, and that
this failure has strategic cost to the productivity of the IETF.  Working groups
usually need help being productive.

     Having their cognizant AD provide technical contributions to the working
group rarely, if ever, satisfies that need.  Having other ADs provide late-stage
technical intervention also tends to be more counter-productive than productive,
because their brilliant insight comes too damn late to be very helpful.

     The fact that there is an occasional exception and that the brilliant
insight sometimes really is useful is being used to obscure just how wasteful it
is, on the average.

  d/
  ---
  Dave Crocker