Re: Myths of the IESG: Reading documents is the problem

2005-08-10 07:22:32
It seems to me that the *primary* responsibility for ensuring that
the WG considers everything it should consider, at an early enough
stage, lies with the WG Chair(s).

Certainly, the AD has an oversight and mentoring role here,
especially for first-time WG Chairs, but your obvious question
should be directed first to the WG Chair(s) and only second to
the ADs.

Brian,

We are talking about the IESG.  So that is what is being commented on.

We can always expand or redirect the scope of the discussion, with the predictable effect that it takes the focus off changes in IESG responsibilities and activities. But that won't be productive.

For example, I could easily respond that the *primary* responsibility for ensuring that the wg considers everything it should consider lies with wg members. Going down that path would ensure that we never really discuss anything about the IESG. However I would rather look for productive changes that can be made in IETF management practises, since it is quite clear that SOME changes are needed and we have already spent some years NOT making them...

So, let's stay with the focus of this thread, shall we?

"Certainly, the AD has an oversight and mentoring role here?" captures the issue quite nicely. It is an AD's trade-off between the role as individual technical contributor and the role of working group facilitator that I was highlighting.

My point is that the AD's primary responsibility is to focus on that oversight and mentoring.

d/

ps. I would argue, therefore, that Steve Bellovin's posting about carefully contributing to the AAA working group on the problems of proxies was, in fact, exactly this sort of strategic management mentoring. Yes, he viewed it as technical contribution because, of course, it was. However he talked about the carefulness required in pursuing it and, of course, the strategic reasons proxies are a bad idea. THAT is oversight and mentoring.