Re: Myths of the IESG: Reading documents is the problem

2005-08-09 17:54:08
 I intended to say something like "...in which an AD is not simply one
 contributor among several other contributors to the work for the WG, but,
 instead, takes the lead role within the WG of providing technical input.

ahh.  tnx.

 It is worse than that.  Even if the AD keeps their mouth (and fingers)
 entirely silent during IESG considerations, they will have held undue
 influence over the process, if they make substantial technical
 contribution AND are the cognizant AD.

 Yes, of course.

Would that the "of course" reflected a consensus view on the current IESG, but
apparently it does not, based on a recent exchange I had with them.  Quite
surprising, really.

 The term "conflict of interest" has its definition precisely in the
 danger that comes from this sort of confusion of roles.

 But that's really for a different discussion thread...

 Indeed.  And, in our environment, I suggest that one can have a serious
 conflict or roles and relationships without meeting the usual tests for a
 conflict of interest.  In terms of impact on the standards process, there
 is, of course, no practical difference between the two cases.

We are so used to thinking of "conflict of interest" as involving greed or an
equivalent, reprehensible self-interest, but it needn't.

Conflicting ideals are, all the same, conflicts of interest.

  d/
  ---
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking