Re: IETF 63 On-line Survey

2005-08-18 15:21:54
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Prakash Jayaraman wrote:

 I suspect that many would also like to know "US vs non-US", given the
difficulties of getting in/out of that country.

Difficulty to enter US depends on the citizenship and visa requirements. If one does not need a visa to visit the US because of native citizenship, I agree privacy issues (such as fingerprints, pictures) are causing problems these days for entry into the US.

Biometric identifiers aren't secrets.

http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-9808.html#biometrics

Whether or not they should be the basis of conditional access controls is a seperate debate.

Most visas are biometric these days. Schengen visa is also biometric although France is doing this only on a trial basis at selected locations. My point is that although I fully agree knowing the country is quite helpful to make travel plans for everyone, "US vs non-US" helps only those that don't need a visa and have issues with privacy. Those that need a visa don't have a choice with respect to the privacy issues.

- prakash