Re: BCPs and STDs

2005-08-18 18:00:43

On Thursday, August 18, 2005 11:47:02 PM +0200 Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com> wrote:

You really need to put everything that people may be looking for on a
single page and point to that page with big, bright arrows. Or better
yet, make that page your homepage. Or better yet, make that page the
IETF homepage. It's very strange that the list of IETF standards  isn't
kept on the IETF site.

Not really. IETF standards are published and archived by another organization, which also provides the resources for archiving and distributing those documents.

What would be strange, if it were true, would be that there isn't an easy way to access IETF standards from the IETF web site. Fortunately, that's not the case. The _very first_ thing on the IETF site, even before things like the IETF logo, is a search box. I've found that to be extremely useful. It finds internet-drafts and published RFC's based on full or partial filenames, titles, content, RFC/BCP/STD numbers, etc.

The original message which started this thread was from someone looking for indexes so he could do things like look up an STD or BCP and find out its name and maybe get a link to the document. He gave this example:

It's a lot easier, when all you might have is a hand held device, to be
able to click though links to see even just the title of a document when
someone asks "what do you think of BCP 58?"

If I go to www.ietf.org and type "BCP 58" (including quotes) into the search box, the first hit is the document itself (RFC3233). The second hit is the tombstone with the publication announcement; the excerpt includes the title of the document, "Defining the IETF".

If instead I type "BCP 58" without the quotes, RFC3233 becomes the second hit instead of the first.

If I type "BCP58", I get the BCP directory index.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+(_at_)cmu(_dot_)edu>
  Sr. Research Systems Programmer