Re: BCPs and STDs

2005-08-18 14:09:52

  *>
  *> It would be nice if there was button (or menu time or some such
  *> graphic widget) that said "BCP" that pointed to
  *> http://www.rfc-editor.org/bcp-index.html.
  *>
  *> Similarly for STD and FYI.

Ed,

Thanks for that suggestion.

Note that your change would reduce the task of reaching the BCP index
from two clicks to one click (You can currently go "RFC Database" ->
"BCP Index").  This shortcut did not seem worthwhile, but we will
reconsider this decision.

  *>
  *>
  *> >Note that you can simply enter "BCPxxxx" to the RFC Editor search engine,
and
  *> >it will display that BCP (and its RFC #).
  *>
  *> Sure, but, well, having drilled into many folks heads that DNS does
  *> look ups and not searches, using a search engine to find a document
  *> by number seems like using sledgehammer to hand a picture. ;)

That seems like an extreme view.  In practice (and the RFC Editor uses
these web pages A LOT), we find that the search engine provides a very
convenient common point for many purposes.  What it does not do
effectively is answer questions like, "What are all the BCPs", or
"What are the current standards-track protocol specs"?  Either of these
is answered directly from another link on the Database page.

Thanks,

RFC Editor/bb

  *> --
  *> Edward Lewis                                                +1-571-434-5468
  *> NeuStar
  *>
  *> If you knew what I was thinking, you'd understand what I was saying.
  *>