Re: [Re: regarding IETF lists using mailman: nodupes considered harmful]

2005-08-26 08:50:28
On 26-aug-2005, at 10:33, Peter Dambier wrote:

Hi Jeroen,

I forwared your message - not replying to show your headder:

From: Jeroen Massar <jeroen(_at_)unfix(_dot_)org>
To: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

So you had sent to moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu(_dot_)
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org received only a copy. Some people might have got nothing.

My own Mozilla/Thunderbird behaves the same way:

I would have had to manually change to/cc for all recipients.

That is what we all need to do now if I got it correctly.

No, what needs to happen if we collectively decide we don't want the current behavior is that the mailinglist software sets a "reply-to" header, so when you hit "reply" or "group reply" your reply is sent with the list in the "To:" field and nothing else. This used to work well, not sure if modern clients handle this correctly, though. Try to reply to this message to see what happens.

(BTW I got so fed up with receiving endless CCs for each discussion thread I've ever posted to (you can actually manually remove those, people!) that I now have procmail remove all messages with duplicate msgids.)

Iljitsch