Re: [Re: regarding IETF lists using mailman: nodupes considered harmful]

2005-08-26 14:47:08
Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 26-aug-2005, at 10:33, Peter Dambier wrote:

Hi Jeroen,

I forwared your message - not replying to show your headder:

From: Jeroen Massar <jeroen(_at_)unfix(_dot_)org>
To: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

So you had sent to moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu(_dot_)
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org received only a copy. Some people might have got
nothing.

My own Mozilla/Thunderbird behaves the same way:

I would have had to manually change to/cc for all recipients.

That is what we all need to do now if I got it correctly.

No, what needs to happen if we collectively decide we don't want the current behavior is that the mailinglist software sets a "reply-to" header, so when you hit "reply" or "group reply" your reply is sent with the list in the "To:" field and nothing else. This used to work well, not sure if modern clients handle this correctly, though. Try to reply to this message to see what happens.

Great, it works!

(BTW I got so fed up with receiving endless CCs for each discussion thread I've ever posted to (you can actually manually remove those, people!) that I now have procmail remove all messages with duplicate msgids.)

Iljitsch

Makes things a lot easier.

Regards,
Peter