Re: I-D ACTION:draft-sanz-rfc1032-historic-00.txt

2005-08-29 12:00:52
Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

You must be kidding.

I doubt it, some of "us" really support the 1591 "spirit":

TLDs manage their affairs as it pleases them, but public
whois data must be correct.  It's also desirable (but not
required in all TLDs) to publish it with a whois server.

Everybody is free to draw his conclusions where that's not
the case (and for ICANN's gTLDs that's not allowed, they
offer the WDPRS for such issues).

most information in it is plainly wrong:

Reporting-MTA: dns; mx2.nic.fr
Arrival-Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:42:56 +0200 (CEST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; HOSTMASTER(_at_)SRI-NIC(_dot_)ARPA
Action: failed

So what ?  Move 3912 to historic because it talks about the
known mil.whois.rfc-ignorant.org in its example, which at
best suffices as a _counter-example_ ?

`rxwhois -h whois.nic.mil nic.mil`
sock errno 61: Connection refused

Yes, I reported this to hostmaster@ about a year ago - zero
feedack.

And no, it wasn't me who submitted MIL to rfc-ignorant.org.

My bulk TLD submission last month was because I _disagree_
with the DE entry (after they added ? explaining the I18N
options) and because I hate double standards.

Move 3912 to historic, because it claims erroneously that
I18N for whois is impossible ?  One of the authors of the
draft in the subject _proved_ that it's possible, no matter
what the RFCI admin thinks about it.

The rest, as mentioned by Harald Alverstrand, is just policy
requirments (and bad ones) which are NOT IETF business.

3912 was submitted by the IAB Chair, claiming that this isn't
IETF business is utter dubious.  BTW, I can understand that
you'd like to remove the IETF from the picture, ICANN etc. are
probably bad enough.

OTOH there was never a whois problem with one of "your" TLDs
as far as I can tell it, and yes, I even watched TF (also a
nice example for some of the more surreal threads in LTRU ;-)

                         Bye, Frank

<http://purl.net/xyzzy/rxwhois.htm#v18> "updated  whois.nic.tf"