Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard

2005-08-30 08:51:00
Peter,

I'm afraid I don't understand. As far as I can understand,
mDNS uses the .local pseudo-domain and LLMNR does not.
So how can LLMNR be blamed for bogus queries for *.local?

Simple: If you call your printer "myprinter.local", and then type
"ping myprinter.local", LLMNR will *always* send a DNS query to the
root first, before rolling over to a local multicast query, whereas
mDNS (except when operating in "Microsoft compatibility mode") will
*never* send a dot-local query anywhere other than the local LAN.

Stuart Cheshire <cheshire(_at_)apple(_dot_)com>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer, Inc.
 * www.stuartcheshire.org