RE: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard

2005-08-30 10:33:38
I'm afraid I don't understand. As far as I can understand,
mDNS uses the .local pseudo-domain and LLMNR does not.
So how can LLMNR be blamed for bogus queries for *.local?

I cannot garantie it was LLMNR. I was told these are windows boxes
using the default enabled LLMNR and it defaults to ".local". I know
that newer windows boxes do have LLMNR but it is not normally used.
Nevertheless it comes up.

Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP do not enable LLMNR by default.
Name resolution in these systems is performed through DNS or
NetBIOS/WINS. Hosts using these systems are not expected to be aware of
a complete list of top-level domains. Queries for "unknown domains" will
indeed be routed by default to the local DNS servers.

One could argue that special knowledge for some reserved names (.local
or .example) should be "wired" in every host. But it is simpler to
program this knowledge in the local name servers, thus avoiding undue
traffic to the root servers without risking interop issues and name
conficts in local naming plans.

-- Christian Huitema