Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard

2005-08-30 10:50:20

Hi Brian,

I'm afraid I don't understand. As far as I can understand,
mDNS uses the .local pseudo-domain and LLMNR does not.
So how can LLMNR be blamed for bogus queries for *.local?

The .local doesn't come from either mDNS or LLMNR... The user types it and/or an application includes it in the domain name look-up. So, if the user tries to look up "twiki.local", what happens? As I understand it, one of three things will happen:

(1) If the system implements mDNS, the .local domain is treated specially, so this just goes out as a link-local request.

(2) If the system implements LLMNR, there will first be a global DNS lookup for "twiki.local", which will fail. Then, a link-local name request will be tried.

(3) If the system doesn't implement any link-local name resolution, there will be a global lookup for "twiki.local" which will fail.

So, if people use .local domains on systems that implement LLMNR instead of mDNS, this can result in lookups for .local in the global DNS.

But, given that choices (2) and (3) involve the same interaction with the DNS, I'm not sure how one can argue that LLMNR makes things any worse than things would be without it. Perhaps you could argue that mDNS makes things better, but that is only true for this one non-existent TLD -- all three systems would generate a bogus global DNS query if I did a DNS lookup for "isoc.frog".

Margaret