Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard

2005-08-29 04:53:42
On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 11:21:06AM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
I am perhaps just being slow and dim-witted after minor surgery, but why
should a protocol that no-one will use be standards track ?

Why should we accept a few (mostly axe-grinding) peoples' assertions
that no-one will use it?

Keith

        we shouldn't.  LLMNR has waded through the lengthy IETF standardization
        process to get to where it is.  That Microsoft has been patient and
spent
        the money needed to keep people on this task long enough to get it here
        should be rewarded with the IETF imprinture.  Of course even Microsoft
has
        hedged its bets (even they are aware of the need to ship products) wrt
        LLMNR.  But that is no reason for the IETF to not sanction this work.

--bill