Re: Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

2005-08-30 19:16:52
 Date: 2005-08-28 20:33
 From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey(_at_)jefsey(_dot_)com>

The problem are:
[...]
- the lack of alternative (are we sure there are no other
architectural way to address the same need without information leak)

I think the answer is "yes".  For tagging of content, there is no "leak",
only information -- that is the entire point of the tag.  For negotiation,
there necessarily has to be some exchange of information ("I prefer X").

- the lack of encryption

See above re. the necessity of information exchange.  TLS is available to
protect against eavesdropping.

- the "spam" aspect: I am imposed to receive the langtag.

You can of course ignore it if you wish.  I also fail to understand how
you can be opposed to a language tag as "spam" yet at the same time
apparently wish to compound the amount of "spam" by including icons,
dictionaries, timestamps, etc.