Re: Revised Last Call: 'SSH Transport Layer Encryption Modes' to Proposed

2005-08-24 14:27:05
"iesg" == The IESG <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> writes:

    iesg> This last call is being reissued because this document
    iesg> contains a normative reference to an informational RFC:

    iesg> RFC 2144 The CAST-128 Encryption Algorithm. C. Adams. May
    iesg> 1997.

    iesg> It is customary to include normative references to
    iesg> informational documents describing cryptographic algorithms.
    iesg> However the procedures of RFC 3967 require that this
    iesg> normative reference be called out in the IETF last call.

For the record I'd like to say that RFc 3967 seems poorly considered
and I don't think strikes a reasonable balance between efficiency and
quality.

In particular RFC 3967 does not allow classes of documents such as
cryptographic algorithms to be exempted from last call notice, only
single documents.