Re: Revised Last Call: 'SSH Transport Layer Encryption Modes' to Proposed

2005-08-24 20:30:58
"John" == John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> writes:

    John> --On Wednesday, August 24, 2005 17:24 -0400 Sam Hartman

    iesg> This last call is being reissued because this
    >> document iesg> contains a normative reference to an
    >> informational RFC:

    iesg> RFC 2144 The CAST-128 Encryption Algorithm. C.
    >> Adams. May iesg> 1997.

    iesg> It is customary to include normative references to
    iesg> informational documents describing cryptographic
    >> algorithms.  iesg> However the procedures of RFC 3967 require
    >> that this iesg> normative reference be called out in the IETF
    >> last call.
    >>

    >> For the record I'd like to say that RFc 3967 seems poorly
    >> considered and I don't think strikes a reasonable balance
    >> between efficiency and quality.
    >>
    >> In particular RFC 3967 does not allow classes of documents such
    >> as cryptographic algorithms to be exempted from last call
    >> notice, only single documents.

    John> For the record,

    John>       * Does your comment/ position above represent an IESG
    John> consensus or your minority position?

I have no idea.  It's my individual opinion; I was hoping by sharing
Iit I would either find agreement or disagreement and that would
inform my thinking about next courses of action.

I know of no IESG consensus on this action, although clearly the IESG
considered 3967 reasonable at time of approval.

Your point is well taken.

--Sam