Re: Revised Last Call: 'SSH Transport Layer Encryption Modes' to Proposed

2005-08-24 16:15:33

--On Wednesday, August 24, 2005 17:24 -0400 Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:

"iesg" == The IESG <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> writes:

    iesg> This last call is being reissued because this
document     iesg> contains a normative reference to an
informational RFC:

    iesg> RFC 2144 The CAST-128 Encryption Algorithm. C.
Adams. May     iesg> 1997.

    iesg> It is customary to include normative references to
    iesg> informational documents describing cryptographic
algorithms.     iesg> However the procedures of RFC 3967
require that this     iesg> normative reference be called out
in the IETF last call.

For the record I'd like to say that RFc 3967 seems poorly
considered and I don't think strikes a reasonable balance
between efficiency and quality.

In particular RFC 3967 does not allow classes of documents
such as cryptographic algorithms to be exempted from last call
notice, only single documents.

For the record,

        * Does your comment/ position above represent an IESG
        consensus or your minority position?

        * Can we expect to see a draft of 3967bis that contains
        specific text with the rules you prefer?

Even if one believes that it is desirable, 3967 already weakens traditional norms for documents on the IETF standards track. A suggestion that further weakening is needed definitely calls for some discussion, at least IMO.

    john