Re: Revised Last Call: 'SSH Transport Layer Encryption Modes' to Proposed

2005-08-24 22:51:46
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
In particular, there is a long-established tradition of specifying
cryptographic algorithms as "Informational" documents, and referring to
them from standards-track documents.

I think there needs to be separation of two different kinds of documents,

1) informational, because the normative specification is elsewhere (usually another standards organization) and we could reference the normative spec directly, and just provide informative reference to the Info spec).

2) informational document just because, well, the authors thought it would be easiest to write an informational document. This is the normative specification, and it may or may not have had sufficient IETF or security review.

At least to me, these two categories should be treated differently. It is not clear which case this one belongs.