Fw: IETF Tools

2005-09-14 07:17:34
Fred Baker posted the following note to v6ops, and other versions may be floating around other mailing lists, but I wanted to follow up to a wider distribution.

- The IETF tools site IS continuing to add really cool functionality (as detailed by Bert/Fred below), but I haven't seen anything broadly distributed about one of the most helpful additions.

- If you go to http://tools.ietf.org/wg/ and select a specific working group, you get the working group drafts that you can get from other places, but you ALSO get "Related Documents", which is basically any non-working group Internet Drafts that have "-(working group name)-" as a component in the filename.

- So, if you select http://tools.ietf.org/wg/v6ops/, you don't just get the WG drafts, you also get a list of documents with titles like draft-baker-v6ops-end2end-00.txt - not a working group draft, but "of interest".

- This makes scraping all of the drafts that will be discussed in a face-to-face meeting a LOT easier than cut-and-pasting draft names from a text agenda (of course, the tools page also provides HTML-ized agendas, if the text agendas included actual draft names - see http://tools.ietf.org/wg/v6ops/agenda for an example).

- The definition of "related" means "includes -(working group name)- in the filename", so if Fred had named his draft draft-baker-hamster-end2end-00.txt, it would not have appeared as a "related document", unless we end up with a working group called hamster ("Host-Agile Multihomed Streaming Terrabit Error Reporting" would be an awesome BoF name, though).

- So, there's a real incentive to include working group names in your draft filename, if the draft actually targets a specific working group...

Thanks again to the Tools Group, for continuing to hack away at stuff like this.

Spencer

From: "Fred Baker" <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
To: <v6ops(_at_)ops(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 12:58 PM
Subject: IETF Tools

Forwarded from Bert Wijnen, with some slight hacking for relevance...

Goto http://tools.ietf.org

If you want to see nits or diffs for any I-D in your WG, you can find them on the IETF Tools Page too!
If you go to WG status pages, you get to:

    http://tools.ietf.org/wg/

From there you can go to your (or any) WG.
See for example:

    http://tools.ietf.org/wg/v6ops/

You can click on dependencies and get to:

    http://rtg.ietf.org/~fenner/ietf/deps/viz/v6ops.pdf

Of you can click on document draft-ietf-v6ops-bb-deployment-scenarios and you get to:

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/v6ops/draft-ietf-v6ops-bb-deployment- scenarios/

from there you can see the file itself, any nits (ID-checklist) that were found, the diff bnetween all the versions etc.

Very usefull information for authors, WG chairs, WG reviewers actually for everyone!

Not sure everyone is really aware of it.