Re: "The IETF has difficulty solving complex problems" or alternatively Why IMS is a big fat ugly incomprehensiable protocol

2005-09-15 06:47:23
... But if I see identification, authentication and routing matters being addressed, I see proposed changes enough to suspect that this will affect the level above (DNS) and below (IP addressing).

I don't see any *necessary* changes to IP addressing; OTOH wide spread use of HIP would certainly open new possibilities, like easier network renumbering and easier interworking between IPv4 and IPv6.

DNS, changes or at least extensions, definitely. That is an area of active research. The Hi3 paper covered that from one point of view briefly, but there are other proposals around.

I would suggest you try to think of simple, robust, scalable global Internet architecture which would include your proposition and permit a transparent transition.

I don't know what you mean with "transparent transition".

How would you support "ISP rotation": your Elm Street person has several addresses and wants to rotate them with a defined pattern within the same relation, for example for security purposes? (you might call this a directed multi-homing?)

I don't understand why you call that "ISP rotation", but yes, based on your functional description, that should be fairly trivial. With IPv6 and RFC3014(bis) addresses you might even get some level of privacy, but see also our "BLIND" paper, on my publications page.

I note that you could also associate HI to predetermined paths as well (anti-tapping protection)?

Maybe, but I don't see any easy way to do that. One of the points in HIP is to loosen the currently tight binding between routing and transport.

--Pekka