RE: A question regarding IETF appointments

2005-09-21 06:08:00

In addition, BCP 10 (RFC 3777) in no way limits the
NomCom from selecting sitting ISOC Board members to be on the
IAB or IESG.

I think it would be best to avoid having ADs on the BoT,
as they are overworked already, and (should be) focused on producing
the protocols we need now.

However, there is substantial overlap between the functions
of IAB and BoT members. Both need to be concerned with maintenance
and growth of the Internet, evolution of its basic architecture,
and cooperation with other SDOs. Having IAB members on the ISOC
BoT furthermore ensures someone is looking after the IETF's interests
(e.g. standardization and openess of protocols).

So I recommend restricting IESG members but encouraging
the appointment of IAB members.

Y(J)S