RE: A question regarding IETF appointments

2005-09-21 15:40:05
Leslie allegedly wrote:
Annually, the IAB makes an appointment to one of three seats on the
Internet Society Board of Trustees (ISOC BoT). BCP 77 (RFC 3677),
which describes the selection process, allows IESG and IAB members to
be selected for the ISOC Board, though no more than two of the
three could
be IESG or IAB members. In addition, BCP 10 (RFC 3777) in no
way limits
the NomCom from selecting sitting ISOC Board members to be on
the IAB or
IESG.

There is a new relationship between ISOC and the IETF for
administrative support as defined by BCP 101 (RFC 4071). Given these
changes in our ties to ISOC, the IAB has been discussing (without
coming to any conclusion on the matter) whether it is any longer
appropriate for someone to simultaneously hold both an IAB/IESG
position and a seat on the ISOC BoT. We think the community should
discuss this.

There are conflicts of interest everywhere.  You can't avoid them, you
can only decide where to set your tolerance level.  I do not want the
IETF to become completely driven by procedure manuals, with rules for
everything that might possibly happen someday.  I say continue allowing
IAB/IESG to serve on the ISOC board, and if a problem ever arises we can
make new rules then.

swb