Comments on draft-iab-link-indications-03.txt

2005-09-23 05:51:13
Hi.

I did a quick read of this document and have a couple of general comments (plus I spotted a very few trival nits).

It seems to be a very useful survey of what has been done in the area of Wireless LAN and the interactions of link indications for hosts connected directly to such links. The architectural concerns and recommendations are then principally derived from this area of study - I agree generally with what is said in these recommendations in the primary situation investigated but I am not sure if the conclusions would be modified if other situations were more explicitly considered.

I am not sure without much deeper thinking and indeed a deeper knowledge of the types of links whether the characteristics of the various mobile phone links (which are very briefly mentioned) would have much of an impact on the conclusions. Their behaviour is significantly different from that of WLAN and given the rather limited performance of the browser on my mobile phone I wonder if more advice is needed here!

Similarly Bluetooth and other sorts of short range communication; and 802.16 type links don't get much consideration.

The draft implicitly concentrates on link indications directly into hosts where they can interact with the transport and application layers as well as the IP and routing control plane. Carriage of link indications beyond the node where they are directly detected is rather frowned upon: I think that some more analysis is needed for situations where the wireless link attaches to a router (a mobile network such as a car or plane comes to mind) and the hosts attached to the wirelesss router don't see the link indications directly. It occurred to me that the nsis work both needs the link indications (to help with rerouting) and could be effectively used to carry the indications - either as a on/off signal or as part of the QoS signaling to tell the application that the bandwidth it was going to get was not what it negotiated originally.

Another area whcih is not considered is the usage of link indications for traffic engineering. There is quite a lot to be said about managing layered recovery where multiple link layers can provide both indications of failure and/or rerouting. The total problem in this case is very complex (just which layer should do the rerouting?).

I also though that IPv6 was not considered very thoroughly. The following sections should probably say more about IPv6:
s1.2: Routable addresses: what about IPv6 addresses?
s1.4.2: Needs to consider ICMPv6
ss2.3.1, 2.3.2, 2.3.3: Need to consider IPv6 address configuration

Minor point:
In s2.4: there should probably be some discussion of the controlability of TCP keepalives - most OS provide very rudimentary capabilities for controlling TCP keepalives and the usual default interval is totally useless for almost any real world application.

Editorial nits:
s2.1, para 3: (language difficult to parse) s/documents dependent/documents that describe capabilities that are dependent/
s2.2, para 5: s/head/heed/
s4.1, para 3: s/receiving/receive/
s4.3, para 1: s/particular/particularly/