Re: UN

2005-09-30 06:21:30
Hi,

Although what WSIS may or may not decide is undoubtedly of
interest to the Internet community, I really think it is a
distraction here and now until there are concrete questions
for us to discuss. Our community's route to the WSIS discussions
is through the ISOC - where basic membership is free, by the way.

     Brian

Peter Dambier wrote:
Alexis Turner wrote:

I don't want to clutter up everyone's inboxes with dozens of rants that
amount to hyperventilating and lots of "IiiiEEEE's!," but if anyone would
like to e-mail me off list with their thoughts on the UN's WSIS conference
and why having them replace ICANN would be a good/bad thing for the
Internet, I would love to hear it.  I'm not looking to pick a fight or
argue - I'm just honestly interested in hearing the various opinions. The
issue is a lot bigger than anything I can get my head around right now,
and hearing what other people have to say would help me think about it
more constructively.

I myself am on this list more or less "Just for kicks," or, as I prefer to
think of it, "personal edification," but do note that it is possible
quotes from your e-mails will make it onto a personal site that I use for
my own rambling and probably incoherent research.  If you don't want
this, just say so.
-Alexis

PS: Bonus points if you actually read what they are proposing before you
respond.

Hi Alexis,

I followed the discussion list. I could hardly follow it.

Is there a UN?

To me it looks like a bunch of small and not so small dictators at the table
and several rooms full of intelligent people outside.

It might be interesting to give them the internet. But how should you do
that? What could they do with it?

Give them the root. The root operators will laughingly stand up and go away.
Each of them will start running his own root on his own hardware.

The internet hardware? Belongs to companies that were not allowed to join.
How should all the internet operators find out what "the UN" want them to
do if they dont allow them in?

I dont think anything but a lot of wasted paper will come out of that meeting.

Kind regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier