Re: Reexamining premises (was Re: UN plans to take over our job!)

2005-10-01 03:02:12
Thomas Gal writes:

Well certainly the network controls in place in china are a good
example of this. HOWEVER I'd say really it all boild down to power.

The path to power is paved with trampled freedoms.

YES! Not to mention the plethora of engineers and geeks who know too
much about what's going on and CAN complain. I'd say as more of our
knowledge pervades society more people could understand the issues
that bother some people.

It's a bit like the religious debates over which operating system is
best on the desktop.  The average consumer doesn't care, and just goes
with whatever comes installed on the machine.  Only the geeks argue
endlessly about supposed advantages and disadvantages to particular
operating systems, none of which actually amount to a hill of beans
for serious users (those who use computers to get things done, as
opposed to geeks who spend their lives tweaking machines but never
actually use them for anything important).