Re: Reexamining premises (was Re: UN plans to take over our job!)

2005-10-03 01:22:33

--On fredag, september 30, 2005 17:58:16 -0400 Michael Mealling <mmealling(_at_)masten-space(_dot_)com> wrote:

Perhaps the solution is to tell the world that DNS isn't really meant for
your grandmother or your favorite polititicain

I believe we tried. Many times. We were roundly ignored.

and instead we're going to
do something at the web layer that's more in tune with how people are
actually using the Internet, not how mail gets routed....

We tried that too (starting with X.500, going on with whois++, and on through a dozen more proposals that did not get even that much traction.

And maybe that work doesn't belong here....

.... in which case "we're going to do something" isn't relevant, and it translates to "we're sitting back and hoping someone will do something". Which isn't all that far from what we've been doing for the last year or five.