Last call tools

2005-10-16 13:54:55
"Brian" == Brian E Carpenter <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>
writes: for example
    >> has anyone tried using a wiki to maintain an issues list?
    >>
    Brian> Quite a few WGs use issue trackers of various kinds.

    Brian> The Global Grid Forum uses a web tool based on sourceforge
    Brian> for Last Call comments (which they call Public
    Brian> Comment). That of course prevents self-feeding mailstorms.

    Brian> See http://www.ggf.org/ggf_docs_public.htm

    Brian> If people like that sort of approach, we should think about
    Brian> it.
I I think that I want multiple views/interfaces to the same data.

I like email for participating in a last call discussion.  I get to
use my UI; there is a well defined functional interaction protocol
(IMAP, SMTP) for exchanging the information and for allowing me to
thread it, reply to it, handle it offline.  I have a lot invested in
being able to deal with email  well because I get a lot of email.

However email is very annoying for seeing if all the issues have been
dealt with or seeing what the current consensus summary of an issue
is.  A webpage would be great for that.

But if all I had for last call comments was a webpage I'd tend not to
make as many comments or be as active in discussions.

We certainly don't want somethnig as simple as the datatracker.  For
example, discusses are entered in the datatracker.  But we do a
horrible job of tracking the actual discussion that leads of to
resolution of discusses.

I agree we should have better tools.  I would be very skeptical of a
solution that forced everyone into one interaction model.

--Sam