RE: Beyond conflict

2005-10-12 09:38:42
I like Wikis, I also think they have some significant problems. I like
the Wiki text markup functions better for manual entry than HTML. On the
other hand they give even more scope for loonies and trolls.

The point I am trying to make here is that 80% of the list traffic is
being driven by two disciplinary issues. It might help some people's
blood pressure to remember that we are using a strongly sub-optimal
collaboration tool here.

I think we should look at new collaboration tools, for example has
anyone tried using a wiki to maintain an issues list?

This is meant to be a technology organization. If we do not try out new
stuff why should we expect Internet users to?

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Scott W Brim
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 11:08 AM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Beyond conflict

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 03:17:56PM -0400, Michael StJohns allegedly
wrote:
At 02:43 PM 10/10/2005, you wrote:
Michael StJohns wrote:
Jabber room dedicated for the specific discussion.

im systems do not have threading, nor is it clear how threading
could/should be done.  --

E.g. Jabber room for discussion on foo, jabber room for
discussion on
bar, etc.

The key is that Jabber rooms can be created pretty much on the fly
without requiring subscriptions and have tools such as
archiving (e.g.
I can still get the discussion from last ietf on dnsext).

So "Let's take this discussion to
beyondconflict(_at_)jabber(_dot_)org(_dot_)  Live
discussion at 11am daily edt, but feel free to place
comments at any
time." for example.

I haven't a clue if this will work - but that's a cultural
discussion
not a technical discussion best resolved by experimentation.

I suggest one or more Wikis.  We know the problems of mail.
We know the problems of instantaneous "discussion".  In
between you have Wikis, which allow time for contemplation
before posting, archives with rather interesting
non-hierarchical interconnection of posts, no need to
create/destroy mailing lists, RSS, etc.