RE: Beyond conflict

2005-10-11 07:27:20

From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Dave Crocker

Michael StJohns wrote:
Perhaps what we do is to move discussions from this list to
a Jabber
room dedicated for the specific discussion.  Pick a time/day and a
moderator? (Or rotating moderators?)

instant messaging, for group collaboration, has its own
challenges.  the 'instant' means that folks are actually
encouraged to react rather than think beforehand.  in that
regard, the medium is even worse than email.

im systems do not have threading, nor is it clear how
threading could/should be done.  hence, group postings are a
mess of individual one-liners and partial-postings.

the too-quick posting behavior leads to the burden of parsing
multiple threads of discussion simultaneously, if the list
has any real activity.

how is this going to improve productivity?

I fully agree with Dave's comments about instant messaging and
threading. I think we need to go beyond such systems.

Instant messaging and jabber may well be worsening the problem. The
channel is more interactive than email but it has the same problem of
cutting out nuace and non-verbal cues.