Re: Beyond conflict

2005-10-10 11:19:06
This is a pretty good point given the recent rash of discussions on the list.

Perhaps what we do is to move discussions from this list to a Jabber room dedicated for the specific discussion. Pick a time/day and a moderator? (Or rotating moderators?)

Later, Mike

At 01:31 PM 10/10/2005, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

What this debate is really telling me is that mailing lists are not a sufficient medium for carrying out extended Internet collaborations.

Its at times like this that I remember that the original reason I got into Internet Security was that I thought I needed some for my collaboration systems to be possible.

If someone wants to be the next Tim Berners-Lee or Jimbo Wales there is an opportunity here.

----------
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org on behalf of Steven M. Bellovin
Sent: Thu 06/10/2005 5:12 PM
To: Melinda Shore
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; iesg(_at_)iesg(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Anyone not in favor of a PR-Action against Jefsey Morfin

In message <BF6B06A8(_dot_)149F%mshore(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>, Melinda Shore
writes:
>Messages like "I'm for this" or "I'm against this" seem to be taking
>the form of a vote, when it seems to me that what's probably more
>appropriate would be an attempt at persuasion.

Thank you.  I'm just as uncomfortable with the "let's sign a petition
against the PR action" as I am with the "let's sign a petitition for
it" postings.

I'm not opposed to PR actions in general; in fact, as a WG chair, I've
(successfully) asked my AD to suspend someone's posting privileges.
I've also had occasion to warn people that they face such sanctions,
most recently today.  If someone is being disruptive and won't stop,
after repeated warnings, I confess I don't see an alternative.

Note that I am not expressing any opinions for or against any specific
suggestions.

--Steven M. Bellovin, <http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb>http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb