Re: Beyond conflict

2005-10-10 12:09:36
Michael StJohns wrote:
Perhaps what we do is to move discussions from this list to a Jabber
room dedicated for the specific discussion.  Pick a time/day and a
moderator? (Or rotating moderators?)

instant messaging, for group collaboration, has its own challenges.  the
'instant' means that folks are actually encouraged to react rather than
think beforehand.  in that regard, the medium is even worse than email.

im systems do not have threading, nor is it clear how threading
could/should be done.  hence, group postings are a mess of individual
one-liners and partial-postings.

the too-quick posting behavior leads to the burden of parsing multiple
threads of discussion simultaneously, if the list has any real activity.

how is this going to improve productivity?

And here I was simply going to point out that we have a very diverse
global body - pick a time, any time and you are sure to annoy one of the
players in the discussion.  Should we have a discussion at 10 AM GMT +1
and effectively bar GMT - 7 from participating ?

I will agree that IM tend to lead to shorter less thought out answers as
everyone is attaching to their keyboard.  Plus what do you do in the
public record if I want to bring up a well thought out possition 1 hour,
or 1 day later - very hard.

E-mail has its limits, I think we all know what they are - and how to work
around them.  I would be warry of conducting official business on a new
medium without running a few "control" experiments first.  And frankly, I
think the topic at hand is WAY to important to conduct experiments with.

Bill