Re: Fwd: Can the USA welcome IETF

2005-10-17 17:36:55
Scott, your presumption of being above the law and able to act without any
regard or recognition of responsibility and obligation is exactly how
organizations get into legal trouble.

The IETF is an activity of the ISOC. The ISOC is incorporated in the US, has a
corporate charter, bylaws, and various duties imposed on it.  It is subject to
US law, and it seems, Massachussets state law.  We'll see.

Your frustration is familiar: I've seen it before as ignored legal realities are
imposed on those who presume they don't exist. The experiences of Chris Neill**
and Alif Terranson come to mind.

Eduardo: Don't take these things personally. When faced with reprehensible
behavior: "speak to the jury".  And thanks for speaking up.

                --Dean

[** BTW, Chris Neill just recently sent me a nasty gram, 6 years later. For
those of you who don't know the story (most of you who aren't Nanog members),
Neill was fired from Verio in 1999 after Nanog members encouraged him to abuse
our relays. This was at a time when Nanog members claimed that no laws applied
to the Internet. I was banned from Nanog for saying with substantiating
citations that this view is wrong.  I was vindicated by all accounts except
those of hard-core Nanog members like Dave Crocker. Neill's firing not entirely
Nanog's fault, but it partly is. Neill continued the abuse after being told to
quit by his management. Neill posted a diatribe on Spam-l after he was fired,
blaming me. This is just one of the reasons Nanog members make personal attacks
on me]