Re: Spam in the IETF's name?

2005-10-21 08:29:09

--On Friday, 21 October, 2005 16:16 +0200 Brian E Carpenter
<brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com> wrote:

As a hopefully constructive suggestion, perhaps people
can look at draft-hoffman-taobis-03.txt and see whether
it says enough in this whole area. Covering this in the
Tao seems right to me.

Brian, it seems at least reasonable to me too.  But there is a
missing link, for which general agreement (at least within the
IESG) is needed, but for which no formal action is required:

The Tao is not exactly required reading.   Many of our
participants don't know about it.   Many of those, especially
from other organizations, who might be putting together
IETF-related, but not IETF-associated, mailing lists and the
like may be even less likely to know about it.  If, when someone
comes to an AD and says "please put this mailing list on your
list", the AD responds with "have you read XXX and do you
understand that, if we list your list, we are going to expect
that you will conform to the principles of Sections A, B, and
C?", it would make the connection and be really helpful.

That brings us back, I think, to where we started.  At present,
listing of an activity or mailing list on that web page creates
the expectation of conformance with our IPR policies.  That
expectation is reasonable and necessary but not, IMO,
sufficient.  We should also have the expectation of conformance
with some reasonable community norms of behavior in addition to
the IPR ones.  To the extent to which the Tao is our best
description of those norms, pointing to it is entirely
appropriate.  But, just as with the IPR case, we must not only
have the relevant documents, but someone or something must do
the pointing.

    john