Re: Spam in the IETF's name?

2005-10-20 08:18:19

--On torsdag, oktober 20, 2005 17:09:21 +0200 Brian E Carpenter <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com> wrote:

We do, however, pay quite close attention to ensuring that meetings
that *haven't* been sanctioned by an AD don't use the IETF's name
inappropriately. But statements such as "we are meeting in the same
hotel as the IETF" are factual, and we can't complain at factual
statements.

In the case of this particular person, he was using "we" quite a lot, and without mentioning any organization but the IETF. I think anyone who wasn't an "IETF insider" would assume that the writer spoke on behalf of the IETF - but I know enough of what the IETF is doing to see that this set of ideas have absolutely no IETF consensus behind it at the moment, so I knew this couldn't be right.

That's what got me upset over that aspect; if it had started out "I and a few other friends have this great idea that we're pushing in the IETF, and we want to meet to talk about it", I'd only have been upset about the method, not the content.

(I find the idea space fascinating, however. I've joined the mailing list, but only 2 messages on it so far, and none with any content.)

                       Harald