Re: When to announce a new mailing list on ietf-announce?

2005-10-24 01:02:27
Dave Crocker wrote:

I'm not convinced that non-WG lists should be announced
in a formal way, but it would certainly be dumb to
create a list and tell nobody.

If it is ok to create a list under ietf.org, it ought to be ok to announce it on ietf-announce. If it is ok to announce such lists, it ought to be ok to announce similar lists that are running at other sites.

It's certainly OK, but why make it mandatory?

The question, then, is when it is ok to create a list at ietf.org. I'm guessing that the existing criteria are something like "the activity is targeting wg status and is beginning the process, through online discussion."

If you check https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/nwg_list.cgi
you will see that there are several other categories.

If one wanted to be highly formal and objective, but still have the scope for such lists constrained to IETF activities, then requiring a draft charter and a BOF request, or the like, might be reasonable.

ADs do that for BOF requests but it feels like overkill to do
it for pre-BOF discussions.

   Brian