Re: [Pesci-discuss] Growing concerns about PESCI

2005-10-27 09:09:34
On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 08:48:23AM -0400, John C Klensin allegedly wrote:
Brian, since PESCI is your show, could you reflect and comment
on at least some of this before we hold a BOF and plenary
presentation... a BOF that, were this an effort that was not
driven by the IETF Chair, might well not be considered
coherent enough to get meeting time, much less plenary time?

I think the problem here is that we only have a few categories of
activities.  What do you call a non-plenary activity that is not a WG?
All we have is a BOF, but BOF has a lot of connotations.

(2) We try to avoid situations in the IETF in which the same
person occupies so many roles as to be, even potentially, the
sole determiner of what occurs.  We tend to use pejorative
terms like "acting as judge and jury" or "conflict of interest"
to describe such situations, although neither term is precisely
correct.  But, in the instance of PESCI, we have a single
person who:

      * Has a known and strong position on how the standards track
      should evolve

etc.  I think this is silly.  This isn't about power, it's about
initiative.  We avoid concentrating too much power in one place but if
you want something to move forward you had better be glad that someone
pushes it, and please note there is a difference between taking the
steps necessary to *offer* ideas and *imposing* them.  In my opinion
this list is a red herring.  Otherwise please show me a specific abuse
of power.

(3) The "team" is expected to report at the Plenary, partially
on the basis of its BOF meeting, but the BOF ends only one
50-minute break before the plenary.  Not exactly time for the
team to meet, carefully consider the discussion at the BOF, and
prepare a report.  Indeed, while it is reasonable to hope for
something else, this would appear to be a setup for the "well,
we just got a lot of input and are thinking about it, stay
tuned" reports that characterized the admin restructuring
process.

Declaring guilt before the crime is yet another rhetorical trick.

(4) We still don't have any real idea how the results of PESCI
will be interpreted and processed.

Exactly.  So calm down and let's not cry doom just yet.