Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria

2005-11-05 20:10:30
(just a late addition of a comment or two..)

Others have already commented on a number of things -- if this goes forward,
the doc needs major editing.  Below are my comments on those parts which I
think haven't been all that extensively discussed.

   Regarding the sponsorship, the meetings are not directly rewarding as
   a marketing action as it may be the case for other type of events, at
   least not directly, because the IETF community is mainly compound by
   engineers, not customers, but in any case is a rewarding action in
   front of the community.  This "low level" rewarding is also one more
   reason to make sure that not all the sponsorship details are openly
   disseminated, unless clearly authorized by the hosts, and even do, it
   can be contra-productive for future meetings.

==> I'm not sure what this means, so remove or reword.

   The rooms generally are hold in a 24 hours basis, and is highly
   recommended the possibility to use them at any time w/o restrictions,
   except for the required timing of the cleaning service.  In certain
   places this could be a cost issue and it may be not convenient.

   This may be the case when using conference facilities instead of
   meeting rooms in hotels.  In those cases, it may be necessary to
   increase the security when there are too many entrances.  Some
   additional technical issues may also arise according to previous
   experience, such as access to wiring closets, AV facilities, etc.

   Not having the rooms hold in a 24 hours basis could also be a problem
   in case electrical or network cabling/equipment has been deployed in
   the meeting rooms.

==> sometimes there seem to be requirements/guidance for NOC operations
(e.g. the last para) rather than site selection.  I'd rather put the 24h
requirement in different words: while the rooms don't need to be available
24h, removing and reinstalling the equipment, cabling etc shouldn't be
needed every evening and morning..

8.  Venue Acceptance/Rejection Report

   Despite the information provided by the proponent of a given venue,
   the IAD should, before taking a final decision about the acceptance
   or rejection of a given proposed venue, make an on-site survey.

   The on-site survey report will compare the selection criteria against
   the proposal information and the actual on-site findings, describing
   possible discrepancies or issues which may need further
   considerations even if they aren't directly described as part of the
   criteria set out-coming from this document.

==> so, IAD should survey all the proposed venues?  Funded by whom?  Could I
ask IAD to visit my backyard to check it out (I could offer a free
dinner too!)?  It may or may not make sense to say that if there are
multiple strong candidates (based on information received), a survey of
appropriate selection of them could be useful.

   In order to demonstrate the compliance with the IETF meeting venue
   selection criteria, all the information related to the proposal of a
   site will be made publicly available in the IETF web site,
   considering the negotiation confidential issues which could be
   subjected to the sponsor/hosts decision.

   A summary of the information need to be made public regardless of the
   site being finally selected or not, and should include all the
   options, such as a given city and several venues in the same city,
   and so on.

   This will not only help the openness of the process but also as
   collective knowledge helping into a better organization and solution
   of issues for future meetings.

==> I'm not sure this level of detail is useful, and indeed, I don't think
any sponsored venue proposal would like to have this kind of info public
if the venue didn't get selected.