Re: Faux Pas -- web publication in proprietary formats at ietf.org

2005-11-06 03:39:48
Frank Ellermann writes:

For thoe who want this that's nice as far as it works, but I'm
generally more interested in the _content_ and not style or layout.

Sometimes layout is important, if text and graphic elements are mixed.

And I don't want to print it, I want to read it. In a GUI or text
mode window with the dimensions selected by me.

Then plain text is best.

This is not the case.  Last DOS version I've seen was
AcroDos 1, last available OS/2 version was AcroRead 3.

So PDF readers are available for those platforms.

IIRC that _was_ also the initial idea of SGML.

SGML wasn't precise enough, I think.

Now if the author is more interested in his layout than
readability and accesibility, let alone transport costs,
then he's obviously stupid.

Tell that to print newspapers and book and magazine publishers.

Version history popstop.cmd 1.7:
| Added JV to MAGIC(), binary starts with %PDF or similar

I don't know what this means.

It was only a spammer trying PDF because it offers links
not found by SpamCop's parser.

The latest versions of PDF seem to support more executable code, which
I do not like _at all_.  One of the traditional advantages of PDF has
been that it doesn't carry any significant executable code, making it
immune to viruses.  Unfortunately, thanks to the idiots at Adobe, that
is no longer the case, although it's still far from an ideal vector
for a virus.