Re: Faux Pas -- web publication in proprietary formats at ietf.org

2005-11-05 07:19:00
Avri Doria writes:

I used to be a proponent of PDF usage in the IETF, but I have been
informed that there are no PDF readers for the blind.  This makes it
less then optimal as a universal vehicle.

The simple solution is to have a text-only version of everything, even
if there is a PDF version.  Text is more universal than any other
type of file, but since it has so few formatting options, it can be
hard to read (which is why a PDF version is also useful).

It should be noted that Acrobat 5.0 and following versions provide
support for screen readers and for export to formats such as HTML and
RTF.  (However, I've never gone beyond Acrobat 4.0 to create
documents, mainly because I don't like the increasing opportunities
for viruses in later versions.)