Re: Faux Pas -- web publication in proprietary formats at ietf.org

2005-11-05 06:12:34

On 5 nov 2005, at 02.59, Anthony G. Atkielski wrote:

The advantage of PDF is that it preserves the exact appearance of the
original document, and that it is designed to be a final format, that
is, it is not designed to be editable (and editing PDF is difficult,
deliberately so).  Also, PDF readers of some kind are available for
just about every conceivable platform, and they all work extremely
well.

I used to be a proponent of PDF usage in the IETF, but I have been informed that there are no PDF readers for the blind. This makes it less then optimal as a universal vehicle.

Of course I may be wrong - did not do the research myself, or technology may change. Though I think the pictorial nature of PDF is a barrier.

a.