Unsure of WLAN diagnosis (Re: Please make sure that you do not run your WLAN in ad hoc mode)

2005-11-12 14:23:38

--On 10. november 2005 20:33 -0500 Marshall Eubanks <tme(_at_)multicasttech(_dot_)com> wrote:

I honestly think that there is something more than that. I have seen
dozens of instances of "IETF64" as an ad hoc network. (I see 6  sitting
here in the plenary.)
Unless there is someone with a perverse sense of humor spoofing me, I
suspect that people are
trying to join to the ietf64 network and getting it wrong, both in
captialization, and in
configuration. (Oddly, I have yet to see "ietf64" as an ad hoc network.)

Of course, when the network availability is poor, mis-configuration
doesn't stand out like it does
when everyone else in on the network except you.

I do wonder if our diagnoses are wrong - the number of W2K laptops in the world (and at the IETF meetings) seems to be *decreasing*, while the number of ad-hoc mode nodes is *increasing*, despite our attempts at user education by posting to the IETF list......

It came as a surprise to me when I encountered, this weekend, a public WLAN that required people to configure their PCs in ad-hoc mode (they said the base station was running in IBSS mode, not BSS - whatever that means).

It would be a Really Good Thing if we could have equipment available in Dallas to locate a few of these laptops and check out what's *actually* going on with them (OS, drivers, configuration....)

Barking up the wrong tree is fun, but doesn't help catch the cat.....