Re: Re: Please make sure that you do not run your WLAN in ad hoc mode

2005-11-10 14:42:23
Joel,

You can,(we've done it in the past) but since they're not actually
connected to the network when they're misbehaving it doesn't buy you much
until they fix their card, sleep their laptop, or reboot.

Having done some testing with various Operating systems wireless
implmentations, I think we can say with some degree of confidence the
instigating hosts are generally windows 2000 machines, it could be time to
upgrade because the winxp ndis wireless drivers won't do this without some
coaxing. Or, I'd be happy to hand out knoppix cd's to anyone who wants
one.

Do you have a sense if it is Win 2000 or if it is related to any specific wlan
driver software?  I'd think a basic list of cards / sw that often misbehave
would be a good thing.  That way, when we see a few adhoc devices in a meeting,
the chairs could more specifically tell people running OS X / card Y to check
their devices.

John