RE: Please make sure that you do not run your WLAN in ad hoc mode

2005-11-10 14:46:08
I think we should be very strict on this. All this people should get
filtered until they go to the NOC and make sure to get trained about
how
to avoid ad-hoc !

Unlicensed spectrum, like the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands used by Wi-Fi, can
be used by anybody. If I remember correctly, there was an FCC ruling on
a similar case, where an airport wanted to get airlines to stop using
their own Wi-Fi devices, uncoordinated with the airport. The FCC
essentially ruled that as it is an open band, landlords and other
facility managers can't prevent people from using the waveband. I did
not check the laws of Canada, but in the US at least the IETF cannot
force people to stop using ad hoc. If two participants want to set up an
ad hoc network and exchange data between themselves, there is hardly
anything the NOC can say. They could also use Bluetooth, which operates
in the same band, and again they would not be breaking any regulation.

-- Christian Huitema