RE: Diagrams (Was RFCs should be distributed in XML)

2005-11-17 10:22:05
The description was sufficiently complete to allow running code to be
compiled from the formal specification.

It certainly does save time when used by someone who has the necessary
experience to work at a very high level of abstraction. The problem is
that it is very hard to persuade others to then maintain the generated
code as this is not a mainstream coding technique. We can get people to
use Lex and Yacc for specific projects but the idea of developing a tool
for the project is something that is not very popular outside MIT and
the like.

If you read Kernighan and Plaugher's book on software tools you will see
that this approach did play an important role in the early development
of Unix. But what has tended to happen since is that people have taken
the specific tools developed rather than adopt the approach.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Crocker [mailto:steve(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 12:00 PM
To: Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Cc: Steve Crocker; Masataka Ohta; Yaakov Stein;
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; Stewart Bryant
Subject: Re: Diagrams (Was RFCs should be distributed in XML)

Well, even if you choose your formalism first and then use
that to guide the development and specification of the
protocols, the challenge still stands.  The operative word in
your description is "portions."  Does the technique cover
enough of the protocol to be useful and does it wind up
adding or saving time, work, errors, etc?

Steve

Steve Crocker
steve(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com