On revising 3777 as in draft-klensin-recall-rev-00

2005-11-14 17:00:55
To give some context:

3777 says that Recall petitions must be signed by 20 people who are eligible to be a nomcom voting member.

draft-klensin-recall-rev-00 suggests that this rule "inadvertently" disqualifies sitting IAB and IESG members and proposes to allow them to sign Recall petitions.

Inadvertent as it may be, I think that the nomcom-qualification is a perfectly fine rule, and sets a higher-bar for the recall process than the new proposal. A quick count of the number of IAB and IESG seats we have available reveals that IAB and IESG members may get into brawls (they go to yearly retreats without us commoners around to watch them, and gods only know what happens there! :-)) and may choose to initiate a recall process on one or more of the them without having to explain what's wrong until the recall committee is formed. As it stands today, 3777 forces recall initiators to find 20 ordinary folks :-), no more than 2 from a single affiliation and convince them that a certain IAB/IESG member needs to be replaced before her/his term is up, to start the recall process.

regards,
Lakshminath