RE: On revising 3777 as in draft-klensin-recall-rev-00

2005-11-15 08:45:22
Hi Eliot,

The most recent number of nomcom eligible folks is 849, please see
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/show_nomcom_message.cgi?id=446.  20 people
out of that isn't all that high.  I think I might easily find 10 like-minded
people; but 20 makes the burden of proof a bit harder and that sounds good to
me.  Furthermore, there have been (rumors of) cases where IESG/IAB members who
were purported to be ineffective have been selected again for their positions.
(As to why that is is a different story, and is closely related to the same
reason why only about 10% of the nomcom eligible folks actually volunteer to be
on the nomcom: apathy).

regards,
Lakshminath

-----Original Message-----
From: Eliot Lear [mailto:lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tue 11/15/2005 3:24 AM
To: Dondeti, Lakshminath
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: On revising 3777 as in draft-klensin-recall-rev-00

I actually think the bar is too high for other reasons.  Those same 20
people are not allowed to serve as jury, and that makes sense.  but
we're not a large community, and while I understand the need to prevent
DOS attacks on the IESG, I would still halve the number.  As it is now
it's just about impossible to get rid of someone who is really doing a
bad job, even if it's obvious.  The balance has to be gotten right, and
that's hard, considering nobody has actually been recalled.  Has anyone
even tried?

Eliot